Friday, August 6, 2010

Just Can't Stay Away



Matt and I just can't seem to get enough of spicy foods! Recently we went to Spicy City, a Sichuan restaurant that recently opened in Irvine and though it was good, it wasn't as good as Chong Ching (which is closer to my house). The spice was mild--even I didn't break a sweat--and the fried shrimp was mostly batter and was extremely greasy. But, it was worth a try. Chong Ching is still old faithful for Sichuan food in Irvine.

Eggplant with garlic sauce
I'm an eggplant lover. But...this didn't do it for me. For some reason, it tasted heavily of vinegar--not pleasing.
Spicy Fried Shrimp
I liked this dish, but didn't love it. It had the perfect spiciness for me and had that great signature numbing sensation, but when I eat Sichuan food, I want sweating, nose running, mouth on fire, drink 30 glasses of water spicy. And it didn't really hit that element for me.
Best part of the meal, the cold dish.
We got to choose several items form the cold dish bar, and we got peanuts with little anchovies (my favorite), pig intestines (they were good but were a little too salty), and chicken gizzard.

No comments: