Sunday, April 4, 2010

MEAT

So, tonight was the first time that I have ever tried Brazilian BBQ, and I can say with the utmost confidence...that I was completely defeated! (even our waiter said so when he questioned why my boyfriend and I were done so quickly).

Ok, so I realize that enjoying thick slices of slowly roasted meat the gaucho way, over a course of three hours, is not uncommon. But for me, it's unrealistic to eat more than a 10oz. cut of beef in one sitting. Sure, it was delicious (Did I say delicious? What I meant to say was "MIND BLOWINGLY succulent cuts of juicy sirloin, filet mignon, bottom cut sirloin, and many other cuts of meat slowly roasted over a hot fire creating an amazing salty/savory crust, that I could not stop eating until my stomach screamed 'NO MORE MEAT!'"), but that was so much food.

The restaurant we went to was called Fogo De Chao in Beverly Hills. They give you little coaster like signs (kind of like at Bubba Gump) which has one red side and one green side. If you want more meat, you turn your sign to green and the "gauchos" come by with large slabs of meat on a stake and shave off a crusty, juicy, salty piece of meat for you. All the meat is seasoned with is salt, and really, what more do you need? The cooking process alone give the meat that really hearty, caramelized, meaty flavor, and the salt just helps bring it out even more.
I constantly had to make sure I turned my coaster back to red to tell them that I'm still working on my plate, because if it's green, they just keep coming like a flock of seagulls!

Not only is there unlimited meat, but they give you endless side dishes. Plantains (LOVED), mashed potatoes (standard), polenta (crispy!). There's also a salad bar buffet, which thank goodness for me was there, because all that beef was kicking my hiney.

O, and did I forget to mention their amazing cheese bread? They were less like bread, and more like...Yorkshire pudding? Nonetheless, incredibly crispy on the outside (shaped like a mini muffin), soft and moist...and a bit chewy on the the inside, and has the most subtle flavor of cheese that just adds a little nutty finish. If you've ever had eggettes, that's what it reminds me of, except these were savory.

Word of advice: if you're going to have Brazilian BBQ, remember that these are very generous people who want to see you full of meat! So bring your appetite! Don't eat for the whole day if you must! Because it will be some of the best tasting meat you will ever try!

It smells good, it tastes good, had a food baby (meaning my belly was protruding like I was three months pregnant), then a food coma, and needed a nap
--verdict: happily...STUFFED.

No comments: