Monday, March 28, 2011

Kabocha Dessert


I'm a huge fan of kobocha. I'll eat them anyway you serve them--they're like my green eggs and ham. But I've become especially fond of them in dessert form, and recently I dug up an old recipe for a Kabocha dessert "soup", if you will.
And it goes a little something like this...

Cut the kabocha in to quarters and steam for about 20-30 mins or until they are fork tender. (You can also peel them and then boil them in about 2-3 cups of water, but I found steaming to be easier for me).

Meanwhile, boil 3 cups of water with 1 brown sugar cane bar (you can find these in your local Asian market--pictured above. Let cool. If they're not available, substitute with a half cup of light brown sugar)
Let the kabocha cool and then scrape off the skins with the back of a spoon. Throw the kabocha into a blender with 2 cups of the sugar water to start. Blend until smooth. Gradually add the rest of the sugar water until mixture becomes a puree, a little bit short of baby food consistency (pictured below).

Pour the mixture into a pot, heat gently, and stir in 1 cup of milk until it becomes silky in texture.
Serve with evaporated milk for a tastey dessert!


No comments: