Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Bailey's (Irish Coffee) Marbled Cheesecake

For the sake of St. Patties day, I thought I'd pick up baking again just for a day.


Though it doesn't look festively St. Patrick's Day (as in, you won't find clovers or green sprinkles here). It's definitely Irish to the core. What do I mean? Well, I've taken a Bailey's marbled cheesecake recipe from cooks.com (which I suppose already implies "St. Patties Day treat") and made it my own by adding espresso for kind of an Irish coffee feel. Minus the Jameson. Sorry, whiskey folk.


Crust:

4Tbs unsalted sweet cream butter, melted
3Tbs sugar
1/4C unsweetened cocoa powder
2Tbs ground instant espresso
1 pkg Honey Maid Graham Crackers, ground to crumbs

Combine butter, sugar, espresso, cocoa, and crumbs.
Press evenly in bottom of a 9in. spring form pan
Bake at 350F for 10 minutes.
Let cool.
Grease the sides of pan.


Filling:

3 8 ounce pkgs cream cheese, softened
3/4 C sugar
3 eggs
3/4 C Bailey's Irish Cream
2 Squares (2 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate, melted
3-4 Tbs ground instant espresso

Beat cream cheese until smooth.
Gradually beat in sugar.
Beat in eggs one at a time.
Blend in Bailey's.
Pour 1/3 of the mixture into the melted chocolate, and stir in espresso
Pour 1/2 of the plain mixture into prepared pan.
Drizzle with half of the chocolate mixture.
Repeat layers.
Create desired marbled design with a butter knife.


As you can tell from the picture, I had some cosmetic issues with my cake (I'm definitely not an avid baker)--the more my cheesecake cooled the more cracked it became, any suggestions on how to prevent that?

As much as I love espresso, I think I was a little too generous with the amount in both the crust and the filling--I'll look into tweaking that this weekend.

P.S.: Stay posted for pics from my trip to Yountville. It includes pictures of what Matt and I had at Bouchon!

No comments: