Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Fat Lady

I'm drawn to places that feel like an old gentlemen's club. A place with Victorian decor, dark lighting, stained glass lamps, and lots of dark wooden furniture. A place where a wealthy world traveler would stop by and have a beautiful, scantly dressed woman serve him a strong drink. I know it sounds strange, but there's something about that kind of atmosphere that I really enjoy.

I suppose it's really the history of the place that interests me. If you read about who The Fat Lady is and about the history of the building, you'll learn that this used to be a place of ill repute and it was owned by the fat lady. All the more intriguing, no? It's a place I'd imagine Sherlock Holmes spending his spare time.

Not only does The Fat Lady have a lot of history in Oakland, but now it's also a place where you'll find great old fashioned (and strong!) drinks and delicious food.

Yep, that's her. The fat lady in all her glory. I'm not sure how accurate this drawing is, but there also a larger painting of her in the picture below. Can you spot her?


Zucchini fries
Crispy on the outside, soft and juicy on the inside, and topped with generous shavings of fresh parm.
Best part of the meal, hands down.

Matt's flank steak

My risotto with seared scallops

Discreet Charm
After reading the Orangette, I have to admit that I've built up a curiosity about Aperol. This spritzer, if you will, is a mix of Aperol, St. Germain, and champagne.
I'm sensing the bloom of a beautiful relationship.

Grasshopper

The sampler dessert
(for those of us who's eyes are bigger than their stomachs and for those of us who cannot decide)
Espresso creme brulee, chocolate torte, almond shortbread, macaroon, clove cookie,
and panna cotta.
Really, we just ordered this for the panna cotta because it's not part of their regular menu, but everything on the plate was spectacular.

Save the best for last: For all the ladies, if you do happen to stop by this place and use the little girl's room, look up, because someone might just be playing peeping tom.

No comments: