Sunday, March 6, 2011

Snow Day! (...or weekend, rather)


I had a nice relaxing snow filled weekend in Tahoe. Saying so long to 22 and hello to 23, there's no better way, that I can think of, to spend the day I get closer to a quarter centennial than snowboarding with my parents and enjoying chili dogs, garlic fries, NorthStar Belgian waffles (that's my favorite part of all! Regrettably, I left my camera in the car that day), cozy complementary hot chocolates, burgers and buffets.

Every time we make a trip up to Tahoe we always make a pit stop at Ikedas (we also stop there on the way back down to buy goodies to take home--that's how much we love them!). They boast some of the best pies in Auburn, and quite possibly all of Nevada. Not only are their pies a huge hit, but their connecting truck stop-eque restaurant is almost always filled with people.

Mushroom burger
I'm probably not the first to admit that I am not a fan of the good ole' sesame burger bun. But I am a huge fan of burgers served on a French roll, which is how Ikedas makes theirs. It's a burger after my own heart.



This was the first time I've ever tried a strawberry rhubarb pie. I've always wanted to try it, but surprisingly, I haven't seen it in many bakeries. But I guess I haven't really been on a serious pie hunt.

I'm aware that I'm stupidly stating the obvious when I say that this is a delicious combination of flavors, seeing as how it's a classic duo for pie. Nonetheless, I was very impressed by the balance of sweet and tart that just makes you salivate the moment you take a bite.



And of course we had to stop by on our way back to pick up some of their amazing chicken pot pies, honey, dried fruit, and this to-die-for peach cobbler--which I must mention was still piping hot when we bought it.
(It has the most amazing crumble on top...is that a hind of almond I taste?)

I cannot wait for my birthday Yountville trip next weekend with Matt! I'll keep you posted.
Until then, one more bite of cobbler before bed...
Over and Out.

No comments: