Friday, April 1, 2011

Pamplemoose (Sort of...)

I've been had, yet again. The deep vibrant red always cajoles me into buying strawberries which I KNOW aren't sweet. It seems that the existence of sweet, flavorful, seasonal fruit not longer exists! In fact, it has been sadly replaced by mediocre, tasteless, but yet deceivingly ripe looking fruit. Now, I'm stuck with a 3 pound box of bland, (but very red!), strawberries that even the presence of condensed milk couldn't save. Yes, that bad. I think they'd make for better compost than they do an afternoon snack. Sad.


On a brighter note, grapefruit is definitely in season!



On an even brighter note, I used the grapefruit I bought to make a delightfully refreshing cocktail. I give you an adaptation of the Pamplemousse (a recipe which I found on the Orangette):



I made a small pitcher of this, and this is the approximate recipe:

The juice of 1 1/2 ripened grapefruit
2:1 ratio of Lillet to fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
The juice of 1 lime
1/2-3/4 cup of dry champagne


And in light of the beautiful weather in these past two days, I did take the liberty of using champagne instead of white wine, which made for a wonderfully crisp afternooner to be enjoyed while laying out in the sun.

No comments: