Sunday, April 24, 2011

Cana

I'm not sure what my obesssion is with beans and rice. Well, beans, rice and plantains to be exact. If you've read my previous post about my Cuban food/ plantain semi-let down, you'll know that I've been on the look-out for plantains prepared the sweet way; the way I like 'em. I guess I do know why I love this combination so much. As filling as they are, I some how always want more. It's the way the sweet plantains cuts through the richness of the savory rice and beans. I'm a sucker for sweet and savory.

Back down in Orange County, our go-to place for cuban food was Felix in Orange, California. But ever since we've been back, we've had some trouble finding a good down home Cuban food joint.

That is until this week.

Cana is a really small Cuban food restaurant/ cafe. Most people come here to order food togo since there's minimal seating. They have only recently started to stay open for dinner so the service is a tad slow. With that said, it was definitely worth the wait. Matt and I decided to eat at Cana since a table for two had opened up inside and we really could not wait to dig in.

Lechon and fried plantains

Cuban Sandwich
Sweet and crispy bread filled with ham, cheese, lechon and tangy sauce

This is exactly what I'd been craving for so long! Sweet fried plantains with cinnamon cream. I could have done without the cream, but it was a nice touch.

Classic Cuban rice and beans

No comments: