Thursday, July 28, 2011

Gregoire


How charming is this place?  One girl woman-ing the kitchen in a place that barely seats four on bar stools over looking the open kitchen with two small picnic tables outside.

If you ever drive by and think to yourself, "Huh, that looks like a cute place to stop by for food."  My advice is...GO!


Originally, we came out to get food to go since we had driven by this several times and it seemed like the perfect grab-n-go place.  But a picnic table opened up outside and we thought, "Why not?".  So we braved the cold, Matt in his basketball shorts and I of course, also not dressed for the weather, in a t-shirt.




Fried anchovies with sweet and spicy sauce.

I'm really not a huge fan of fish bones, and surely anchovies are full of tiny, throat sticking fish bones.  But the sweetness of anchovies is something that I absolutely cannot pass up.  If you've never had fresh anchovies, they're quite a treat.  It's definitely not something that I would eat everyday, but it's nice to be reminded once in a while of how sweet fish is supposed to taste.

My only complaint is that I would have preferred the fish be fried a little longer; they were a little limp.  I thought they were going to come out stiff as french fries, but that was definitely not the case.  Nonetheless, they were really addictive and the sauce was really tasty as well.


The second little package to arrive at our table was the slow cooked pork.  It was literally fall apart soft.  And the barbecue sauce that was gently brushed on top and served on the side was sweet and make the perfect companion to the pork.

And can we talk about the slaw for a second?  That was probably one of my favorite parts of the meal.  It was slightly tangy and it cut through any kind of fat that the pork had, making you want to take endless bites of the pork.  Phenomenal.


This was by far the best part of the meal.  The fried potato balls.  Lightly fried balls of smooth mashed potatoes, really?! Who came up with this?  It was so incredible.  The mashed potatoes almost had the consistency of peanut butter--stick to your mouth creamy and thick.  It was just so unbelievably simple but it was so darn good.  I think we're going to put the fryer that I got for Matt a year ago back into commission and the first thing going in the hot oil will my my recreation of these.

Done. Deal.

No comments: