Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Chimichurri

It's definitely been a while since I've cooked but every time I do, I love it. 

Cilantro chimichurri on skirt steak with garlic lime broccolini. 


I had this crazy craving for chimichurri and skirt steak that just would not go away and the only way to cure that craving was to start cooking.  The thing that I love about chimichurri is that it's incredibly flavorful and easy to make--just pop a few ingredients into a food processor and the outcome is an amazing sauce.

Chimichurri:
2 1/2 cups lightly pack cilantro, most of the stems removed (I find that adding the stems often times gives the chimichurri and off-putting bitterness, especially if the cilantro has thick stems)
5 large cloves garlic
2-3 scallions (if they're larger then two will do, but if they're small then I'd opt for three)
6-7 large leaves of mint
1 jalapeno (I like to leave the seeds and the membrane so that it has a little more of a kick, but you can remove it if you want a milder spice)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
the juice of 1/2 a juicy lime (or to taste)
the zest of 1 lime
salt and pepper to taste

Optional:
1 avocado

Roughly chop the cilantro, mint, scallions, jalapeno and the garlic. (I find that it blends better when you rough chop the ingredients first)
Add to food processor along with the juice and zest of the time
Turn on the food processor, if you choose to add an avocado, cut it into quarters add in
Puree the ingredients and slowly add the olive oil until it comes together almost like a salad dressing

I've also made a different version of chimichurri before here without using a blender or a food processor, so its definitely possible but it takes a little more elbow grease.  After making this version, I think I like the texture of the more "rustic" version.  To make the sauce without a food processor, finely chop all the ingredients, put them in a bowl, add the olive oil and the lime juice and zest, stir, and let it sit out at room temperature for about 15-20 minutes (or while you're making the protein) so that the flavors can come together and serve.

This is an incredibly healthy way to add tons of flavor to your meal.

No comments: