Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Benny and the Jets

I've been depriving you haven't I?  Well, I do apologize.  I just got back from Los Angeles for my cousin's graduation and haven't really had time to sit down and write.  What I really should have done was bring my laptop along with me on the trip, but I was much too lazy to tote around this monster and my phone just wouldn't suffice.  But, the good news is that I have tons to share since it's been so long.

Before I jump into the food part, I just wanted to say that over the weekend I watched 27 Dresses for the second time and now Benny and the Jets is totally stuck in my head--hence it is the namesake for today's post.  So Elton John has nothing to do with this entry other than the simple fact that I'm completely addicted to the song (this, of course, is all in case you were wondering, or if I got your hopes up in anyway because of the amazing post title).

Okay, so off the tangent, and back on track.

If you've been following my blog for a while or if you just know me, you'll know that every time (and I do mean every time) my family and I make a trip down to southern California, we always stop at Harris Ranch for a meal.  (It used to be that you'd know when you were close because it's smelled to heavily of cow poo, but it's gotten much better since).  The reason why we come here during every trip is because not only is it a novelty but it's also a place to get incredibly meaty and well-prepared steaks. Admittedly, I have now gotten a soft spot for Harris Ranch...I guess because part of me wants to be a cow girl and eat steaks all day, but that's another story that you can probably live without.



 Berry Boost Smoothy
I get this every time.  It's so good and it's such a nice refreshing drink paired with a heavy steak.


Warm Spinach Salad
Not to be confused with the spinach salad 
(that happened to my dad when we went back to Harris for round two on the way home from LA)

I think it's the best salad on the menu.  I'm usually wary of warm spinach salads because they tend to over wilt the spinach.  But not in this case.  It's served with a light, tangy vinaigrette, mild blue cheese, sweet onions, and cinnamon almonds.  



Blueberry Sauce Short Rib with Shoe String Fries
This is a new item on their menu.  Although, I tend to stick with my steak only rule when eating at Harris Ranch, this was definitely a great dish.


Baseball Cut Sirloin with Yam
A perfect, juicy med rare--it had a nice crust on the outside and it was just so meaty and flavorful.  


Pot Roast with Garlic Mashed Potatoes (and my dad added mustard before I could snap a photo)
Their garlic mashed potatoes are a garlic lovers dream come true--whole cloves of perfectly cooked-until-sweet garlic whipped into creamy mashed potatoes.  Just try and convince me that that doesn't sound like heaven...

No comments: