Monday, May 30, 2011

Strawberry Mint Sorbet

Today was a good day. Kona and I woke up bright and early to get groomed (a dog grooming to be exact). This is the face of a happily groomed akita, but a less than enthused model.

If you look closely in the background you'll see a box. What could it be? The ole' reliable ice cream maker! Yes, today I dusted of the darned thing and decided to make something out of the 4lbs box of strawberries I bought from the grocery store earlier this week. The weather wasn't exactly ideal for something frosty, but the weather can't stand between me and my ice cream (or sorbet).

This is my own recipe and it's just to give you a foundation for a strawberry sorbet. I'm enjoying a large scoop as we speak! I couldn't resist but to scoop myself a taste before popping it in the freezer for a final set. This is an incredibly easy recipe, everything other than the measurements of the strawberries really just depends on how sweet your strawberries are and how much you like mint. So here goes.

My ice cream maker makes roughly 1 1/2 quarts of sorbet.

2lbs strawberries rinsed, remove the stems


Quarter the strawberries


You will need the juice of one lemon, two if they're rather small
Add 3-4 heaping tablespoons of powdered sugar to the lemon juice and stir until dissolved, add more or less depending on how tart your strawberries are


Finely chop about 10-15 large leaves of mint you should end up with about 3 tablespoons
Throw the mint into the lemon and sugar mixture and let sit while you finish preparing the strawberries
Add a pinch of kosher salt and stir until dissolved


Throw your strawberries into a food processor and puree until smooth, I like my puree to be a little bit chunky, but it's really up to you


Follow the instructions on your ice cream maker.
For my ice cream maker, I let it start churning then pour the puree immediately in and let the ice cream maker begin to work its magic. Then, I slowly pour in the lemon juice with the chopped mint.


It takes about 15-20 minutes for my ice cream maker to turn my mixture into a smooth icy treat. So in the mean time, I usually clean up the huge mess I've made.

And voila!
The little cup of strawberry mint sorbet that I've impatiently scooped for myself.



I wonder if the tub in the freezer has frozen up enough to make a prettier scoop.
Well, there's only one way to find out.

Enjoy!

No comments: