Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Homemade Buffalo Wings

I'm almost certain that this is the easiest and most successful recipe I've made in...I don't know how long. I've been accustomed to buying frozen buffalo wings and shoving them to the back of my freezer for "one of those days" when I have a hankering for spicy wings. Now it's time to toss that bag of overly sauced wings out and never buy them again! I've found the recipe of the century--Baked hot wings!

This is a recipe inspired by one that I found on All Recipes. I modified it just a tad, it was mostly to taste and it was also based on how much prep time I had. So here goes:


  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 20 chicken wings
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • 1/3 cup hot pepper sauce (I used one that I found at Trader Joe's which worked perfectly in this recipe)

  • Instructions:

    1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (if you only have aluminum foil, that's fine, just make sure you spray it with lightly with cooking oil). Place the flour, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and salt on to a shallow dish and mix thoroughly. Add the chicken wings (a few at a time), and lightly coat with the flour mixture. Tap off the excess flour. Place the wings onto the prepared baking sheet, and place into the refrigerator. Refrigerate at least 1 hour. (Refrigeration is crucial because pulls off all the moisture from the wings, so that when you bake them, they become light an crispy rather than soggy.
    2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
    3. In a small pot melt the butter and stir in the hot sauce. Dip the wings into the butter mixture, and place back on the lined baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven until the wings are golden and crispy on the outside, about 20 minutes. Turn the wings over halfway during cooking so they cook evenly and then bake again for another 20 minutes.
    4. Optional: place the wings under the broiler for 5 minutes just to be sure that they're nice and crispy.



Seriously, the best wings ever.

No comments: